Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to interpret EMC testing results?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary_feesher

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I am working on a project where we need to perform EMC testing on our device to meet regulatory compliance. I was wondering if you could help me to interpret the meaning of the results; and what I'm exactly reading in the results.

The test results which I have are measuring the following:
  • Frequency (ranging from 100kHz up to 2.845MHz).
  • The peak dBuV at each of these frequencies.
  • The average of the peak
  • The average difference
  • The quasi-peak
  • The quasi-peak difference

And finally, based on this data; it determines if it is a Pass or a Fail.

My questions are as follows:

• What do these measurements mean with respect to my device's ability to withstand EMC testing?
  • What is the practical application of EMC testing and why is it so important?
  • If my device has an EMC "Fail", what are some things in the circuit which need to be re-designed in order to meet EMC requirements?

EMC test is required to determine that your device should have no effect on the other equipment around. Like placing a Transciever in a plane, where there are tens of other equipment around. You need to be sure that your equipment would not disrupt something else.

Peak-to-Average ratio is a thing with your waveform, consider your duty cycle is sth like %10; however your peak's are really big. That would mean at your peaks, probability of effecting other equipment will increase. Basic methods are EMC filters, which can vary from simple coils to metal enclosures depending on your application(Frequency of operation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back