Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cascading filter after a 2 poles sallenkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Butterworth doesn't meet the linear phase requirement in post #18. A 40 kHz Bessel filter would, but it needs f0=60 kHz Q=0.5.
I don't see this criteria there, however it makes sense, KlausST mentioned phase shift earlier maybe, but Butterworth doesn't seem too bad I think. In the pass band the group delay is not so dramatical if the output signal's bandwidth is much smaller than 40kHz, and what is placed down now on the PCB I found it as a trade-off.

But Butterworth doesn't meet the linear phase requirement in post #18.

Yes - the same applies to Chebyshev (as in my example) - however, a special equalizer stage could improve the phase response considerably.

I don't see this criteria there, however it makes sense, KlausST mentioned phase shift earlier maybe, but Butterworth doesn't seem too bad I think. In the pass band the group delay is not so dramatical if the output signal's bandwidth is much smaller than 40kHz
The OP claimed the filter should "not change the phase till 25-30kHz", see the discussion in my previous post #21. If we take this serious, Butterworth won't be acceptable.

Hmm, I should be more careful with reading, thank you by the way. My last recommendation is a 6th order "Linear Phase with Equiripple Error of 0.05°" characteristic. It has a stage with Q=0.55 and a normalised Fc=0.9807, not too far from the ready filter stage....maybe. The group delay is very flat up to Fc. However I have never designed this one.
See page 42 for the characteristic and page 53 for the design table. https://www.analog.com/media/en/training-seminars/design-handbooks/Basic-Linear-Design/Chapter8.pdf

My last recommendation is a 6th order "Linear Phase with Equiripple Error of 0.05°" characteristic. It has a stage with Q=0.55 and a normalised Fc=0.9807, not too far from the ready filter stage....

Frank - did I overlook some information? How do you know that the existing 2nd-oder stage has a Q in the range of 0.55 ?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.