Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PS/2 keyboard DIY from scratch ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi a project of mine accepts a ps2 keyboard for input.
To avoid having to carry a ps2 keyboard with me, I want to build (not to buy) a mini version of a ps2 keyboard and include it inside the project.
Currently, the only project I am aware of are this
**broken link removed**
And its english keyboard encoding here (also attached) https://nicotak.com/keyboard/firm008eng.zip

The problem is that by looking at the code in the english version (attached) he uses combination for ESC, F1, F2, F3, F4 keys. The combinations are

// ctrl + 1 = F1
// ctrl + 2 = F2
// ctrl + 3 = F3
// ctrl + 4 = F4
// ctrl + E = ESC

But the ctrl key is used for another purpose in my project.
Can you please help me to change the ctrl to another key, for example ALT?

Attachments

• firm008eng.zip
    9.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Hi,

Are you sure you want PS/2 interface?

If so: It should be rather simple:
* The PS/2 hardware of the interface is simple and you will find lot´s of information about it. Simply do a search. Even wikipedia has enough of information.
* the PS/2 protocol is also simple. The codes can be found easily in the internet, too. Just do a search on "PS/2 keyboard codes"

Klaus

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

Are you sure you want PS/2 interface?

If so: It should be rather simple:
* The PS/2 hardware of the interface is simple and you will find lot´s of information about it. Simply do a search. Even wikipedia has enough of information.
* the PS/2 protocol is also simple. The codes can be found easily in the internet, too. Just do a search on "PS/2 keyboard codes"

Klaus

I know, but I have not found a "complete" ps2 keyboard online. I do not want to design my own currently as there is no time.
If I could only replace the CTRL key with the ALT in the key combinations, that should be fine.

I attach you the C code.
I may be able to tweak it myself but a help from an experienced member would help.

By the way how can I build the hex for it, which compiler to use? (free)

Status
Not open for further replies.