Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does it mean to have a sequential encoding scheme to enumerate states?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MightyFunkster

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So I implemented a Mealy machine for a pattern recognizer of '1010'. I defined my states as

Code:
TYPE state_type IS (STATE_INIT, STATE_1, STATE_10, STATE_101);

I then went on to do the normal combinational logic to decide where to go from each state based on the input e.g.
Code:
 WHEN STATE_1 =>
        IF x='0' THEN
          nextState <= STATE_10;
        ELSE
          nextState <= STATE_1;
        END IF;

as well as the necessary sequential logic with the clock and reset signals and it all works fine.

I assume that this is a combinational encoding scheme to enumerate the states as they are encoded as bit patterns but as part of this project I'm asked to assume that a sequential encoding scheme to enumerate the states has been used, I don't really understand what that means. I understand that sequential logic is dependent on both present and past inputs whereas combinational logic is only dependent on present inputs but I don't see how that relates to a sequential encoding scheme to enumerate states?

Not sequential as in clocked logic but instead sequential as in a sequence, i.e. 0, 1, 2, 3 as opposed to something non-sequential, i.e. 3,1,0,2

Note the states in your state_type can have := 0/1/2/3 after each state to define what the bit values are for each state, otherwise by default they start a 0 for the left most item and increase sequentially by 1 to the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back