Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timing issues in netlist simualtion - SDF simulation of IP block

Status
Not open for further replies.

manpmanp

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
TOOLs and Tech: Questasim 10.5c-2 / Synopsys design_vision I-2013.12 / STM 65nm

Hi

I am running some timing simulations on my design and have some doubts and issues with the results.
1- My design is synthesized with Clk_Period = 2 ns and the timing report of the design shows it could meet the timing completely (slack (MET) = +1.75). To me it means that 2 ns is more than enough to meet the required setup and hold time of each flip-flop from the technology standard libraries. However, after simulating the netlists, it seems it has problem with delivering data from registers in 2 ns and it need the data to be stable for more than that (having 4 ns between two consecutive changes seems to be enough to get data out from the output of register) the following attachment shows this issue:
Screenshot-4.png
2- Simulatiing the netlists versus the SDF back annotated files gives me errors regarding the hold time:
# ** Error: PATH_TO_STANDARD_CELL_LIBRARY_BEHAVIORAL_FILE(25913): $hold( posedge CP:6 ns, negedge D &&& dE:6 ns, 14 ps );
# Time: 6 ns Iteration: 1 Instance: :Test_Design_tb:DUT: Register1_reg_2_

All above problems happen while report_constraint -all_violators gives: "This design has no violated constraints."
and report_timing shows positive slack for the paths

3- In another design of mine I have a memory IP block. when doing SDF simulation I am getting several issues:

sdf simulation stops with FATAL error (several errors of two different types:
# ** Error (suppressible): (vsim-SDF-3261) PATH_TO_SDF_FILE.sdf(107919): Failed to find matching specify module path.
# ** Error (suppressible): (vsim-SDF-3262) PATH_TO_SDF_FILE.sdf(107923): Failed to find matching specify timing constraint.
** Fatal: (vsim-SDF-3444) Failed to annotate from SDF file PATH_TO_SDF_FILE.sdf
# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: :sram_mult_top_tb File: PATH_TO_TESTBENCH_FILE.vhd Line: UNKNOWN
# FATAL ERROR while loading design
# Error loading design

using vsim -sdfnoerror to reduce errors to warnings helps running the simulation, however still with following two type warnings (errors reduced to warnings)
# ** Error (suppressible): (vsim-SDF-3261) PATH_TO_SDF_FILE.sdf(107919): Failed to find matching specify module path.
# ** Error (suppressible): (vsim-SDF-3262) PATH_TO_SDF_FILE.sdf(107923): Failed to find matching specify timing constraint.
and running the simulation it has several timing issues for resolving the out values.
I am wondering if I really need to modify the sdf content with respect to IP and if so, how?

I appreciate any hint or help about above issues.

We get questions about gate-level simulation on a weekly basis here... usually people don't know why they are doing gate level simulation, and when they think they know why, they don't know how. Chances are your simulation does not match your synthesis, double check your clock definition in the SDC and in the testbench. It has to match.

It also seems like there might be a mismatch in the netlist, sdf, or simulation library. I would expect a earlier issue with the annotation if the netlist and SDF didn't match, not some specify path of a library cell. I think you are using an different simulation library and the netlist/sdf are generated based on some other version of the library

TOOLs and Tech: Questasim 10.5c-2 / Synopsys design_vision I-2013.12 / STM 65nm

I recall correctly, some time back when using this particular library that the simulation Verilog cell library .v file did not match logically the synthesis liberty .lib file used for synthesis when doing logic equivalence checking.

Normally, for an ASIC project - you need to validate the Verilog standard cell library .v file against the Liberty .lib file standard cell library using logical equivalence checking before the project begins. Saves a lot of headache in debugging.

It also seems like there might be a mismatch in the netlist, sdf, or simulation library. I would expect a earlier issue with the annotation if the netlist and SDF didn't match, not some specify path of a library cell. I think you are using an different simulation library and the netlist/sdf are generated based on some other version of the library

Synthesizing the IP block, almost all paths to the IP are unconstrained. there is no mismatch between netlists and sdf file. All those errors when reading sdf file are starting from the line that the file is going to address the ABSOLUTE DELAY and TIMINGCHECK of the IP block.
Although, it is not possible to constrain the paths to internal connections of the IP block, there should be a way to write sdf file out and the netlist of a design containing IP block properly to be able to do back-annotation and timing simulation without any critical issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back