Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Overvoltage in a regulator volatge circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winsu

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I have recently seen an electronic circuit which I think has been under high voltage. It is supposed to work at 24V but It can handle up to 50V. The circuit is basically two regulators voltage and a microprocessor.

The first regulator voltage is MC34063ABD and it is configured as page 11 on its datasheet, it steps down the input voltage to 5V. The second regulator voltage steps down the voltage from 5V to 3.3V to feed the microprocessor.

I said it was overvoltage because the MC3406ABD is not regulating and it is visible damage, the inductor which is between both regulators voltage is completely burnt and open circuit and the microprocessor is shorted.
IÂ’m trying to think in the sequence of how the components were failing and I think it is as follows:
Firstly the MC34063ABD fails because more than 50V applied to it, then it stops switching and all the voltage outputs in SWE pin. The voltage drops in the diode Zener (as page 11 on datasheet).
The second regulator voltage, the MCP1700T canÂ’t handle that level of voltage and let the voltage reach the microprocessor which fails causing a dead short. As the micro is shorted and there is voltage dropping in the Zener (the output of the first regulator voltage), the micro continues pulling current until the inductor is completely burnt and open circuit.

Does it makes sense this sequence of events? should I expect different evidences if more than 50V were applied to the circuit?.

Many thanks.

Overvoltage of the front end regulator is a credible theory
but in failure analysis you should beware of your impulse
to believe the first good idea that comes along. Rather,
collect the possibilities and work the evidence to get the
probabilities, as priorities for deeper digging (like, there
may be other ways to fry a switching regulator, but some
may not be credible given the assembly and access and
local threat "population" - maybe a "screwdriver short"
on the output, while a credible way to damage a part,
is not credible in the hardware as it sat).

There is always some "wandering around in the basement,
in the dark, looking for the light switch" element to FA in
the early going. Don't try to run ahead, take your time
and diligently explore the failure modes, effects so your
analysis has a solid chance of including the real villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.