Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB multiplexer via FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

orso135

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have 2 USB devices that I would like to multiplex, that is according to the state of a selector S I would like to connect either USBdev_A or USBdev_B to a USB_PC. Obviously, GND is connected together, but V+ (5V) is routed outside the FPGA. So, I just need to multiplex D+D-

The main problems are:
  • the USB connection implies a inout port, still, I have no enabling signal that can tell me the direction of the port
  • for the USB2.0 to work I need approx. 500MHz of bandpass (which I am not sure I can achieve with a FPGA)

Right now the alternative options I came up with are: a) design a PCB and find a way to solder the chip (5mmx5mm 32PINs) MAX4999 which does exactly what I need. b) go for a much less elegant solution and buy some micro-switches

To recap, is it feasible to create a mux for USB (D+D-) on a FPGA? If not, how would you achieve the same goal using a different strategy?

It's not feasible with FPGA, it has neither analog switch features nor an USB 2.0 PHY. Besides MAX4999, there's a number of high speed analog signal switches that can do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.