+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 3

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

USB multiplexer via FPGA

I have 2 USB devices that I would like to multiplex, that is according to the state of a selector S I would like to connect either USBdev_A or USBdev_B to a USB_PC. Obviously, GND is connected together, but V+ (5V) is routed outside the FPGA. So, I just need to multiplex D+D-

The main problems are:
    • the USB connection implies a inout port, still, I have no enabling signal that can tell me the direction of the port
    • for the USB2.0 to work I need approx. 500MHz of bandpass (which I am not sure I can achieve with a FPGA)

Right now the alternative options I came up with are: a) design a PCB and find a way to solder the chip (5mmx5mm 32PINs) MAX4999 which does exactly what I need. b) go for a much less elegant solution and buy some micro-switches

To recap, is it feasible to create a mux for USB (D+D-) on a FPGA? If not, how would you achieve the same goal using a different strategy?

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13662 / 13662
    Level

Re: USB multiplexer via FPGA

It's not feasible with FPGA, it has neither analog switch features nor an USB 2.0 PHY. Besides MAX4999, there's a number of high speed analog signal switches that can do the job.

1 members found this post helpful.

--[[ ]]--