+ Post New Thread
    Junior Member level 1

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Question about electric and magnetic Hertizian dipoles

If I'm correct, if I put a electric current dipole along X axis, and a magnetic current dipole along Y axis (both sources are at the origin), I think I'll have an antenna that is almost only propagating towards the upper space in the coordinate system. If we only observe Z axis, the two fields will be superposition for positive Z axis, and cancellation for negative Z axis.

First question: Am I correct about this condition?

Second question: Can I make such an antenna by placing a wire along X axis and a small loop along Y axis to create such a condition and get a single direction antenna without a reflector plate?

•   AltAdvertisment

Super Moderator
    Helped
    1087 / 1087
    Level
    Blog Entries

Re: Question about electric and magnetic Hertizian dipoles

The z-axis represents the poynting vector, having a direction of propagation orthogonal to the xy plane, which is indeed the superposition of both x-axis (electric) and y-axis(magnetic) vectors; I would agree with most statements of the 1st phrase, except "and cancellation for negative Z axis". Are you talking about reflection ? Are you considering either superposition/cancelation scenarios on z-axis occuring at different places on the axis, and happening at different times ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the world that you live in, You are the part that you're giving ( Renaissance )

•   AltAdvertisment

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13461 / 13461
    Level

Re: Question about electric and magnetic Hertizian dipoles

Symmetry considerations seem to contradict your assumption at first sight. In any case phase and magnitude relation of both sources matter for the superimposed characteristic.

--[[ ]]--