Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

delay of inverters in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sambhav_1

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI
I am facing an issue during postlayout simulation where a chain of four inverters is there i have to obtain a min. delay. But when i change the w/l of the transistors there is no change in the delay, it is neither increasing nor decreasing. In prelayout simulation i can easily see the variation in delay while varying the w/l.
Any explanation for this behaviour in post layout simulation ?

i am working on 28nm.

Post-layout would have the transistors' W, L set by
the layout realities - are they made variable in the
netlist, or are you changing variables that do nothing?

Post-layout would have the transistors' W, L set by
the layout realities - are they made variable in the
netlist, or are you changing variables that do nothing?

if you mean by w/l as variable, then NO.w/l of each inverter is kept same. and when i am changin the w/l of the inverter ,there is no change.

I mean that in schematics W and L are often left as
variables but an extracted netlist only represents what
was laid out, and any variables from a reused schematic
based testbench might do nothing as a result.

HI
I am facing an issue during postlayout simulation where a chain of four inverters is there i have to obtain a min. delay. But when i change the w/l of the transistors there is no change in the delay, it is neither increasing nor decreasing. In prelayout simulation i can easily see the variation in delay while varying the w/l.
Any explanation for this behaviour in post layout simulation ?

i am working on 28nm.

Maybe your metal RC is too worst and become the dominant.
But you mentioned no change in the delay, is it totally no change or the change is very minimum?
If totally no change, then I believe the way you hack your netlist is not correct.

I mean that in schematics W and L are often left as
variables but an extracted netlist only represents what
was laid out, and any variables from a reused schematic
based testbench might do nothing as a result.

no, i haven't left w and l as variables un schematic.
And i have extracted the netlist in same way i extract it before.

Reading this discussion I feel lost.
Could you please explain what would you like to achieve? What are the simulation conditions? Are the simulation differences occurs when comparing schematic level with extraction without parasitic?

Hi dominik
I want a certain delay using these inverters , but during pre-layout simulation i can see the variation of delay with w and l. But in post layout ,there is no change is seen by varying the w and l. Layout is also right , now i can only change placement and routing. I am unable figure out the problem.

I believe in the layout, transistors has fixed dimensions. So, to vary them you would need to make on-fly modification of the netlist.

You didn't provide any information about tools and methodology which you are using.

I believe in the layout, transistors has fixed dimensions. So, to vary them you would need to make on-fly modification of the netlist.

You didn't provide any information about tools and methodology which you are using.

"on-fly modification of the netlist" Can you elaborate on this ,what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.