Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Economical magnetic material for 18x18inch flat capacitive/inductive resonator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbugh

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to gather information about what types of magnetic material are most economical for a large flat LC resonator, 18 inches by 18 inches by somewhere between 1 to 3 inches high. I need 18x18 flat sheets of magnetic material on top and bottom that route flux to a center magnetic material with low losses between 50KHz and 200KHz. (plus more on 4 outer sides)

For example I could use 1 inch thick sheets of ferrite like 3C95 that can handle .125T with low losses.
http://www.ferroxcube.home.pl/appl/info/3C95.pdf .
The flux would increase in some other type material in the center section.

or

18x18 inch sheets of 0.5 inch thick material that can handle .25T with low losses.

or

18x18 inch of 0.25 inch thick material that can handle 0.5T with low losses, like some kind of laminated assembly of amorphous nanocrystaline thin metal sheets?

or

18x18 inch of 0.125 inch thick material that can handle 1T with low losses.

or

18x18 inch of 0.0625 inch thick material that can handle 2T with low losses, if it even exists.

I want to use thinner material to keep the size and weight down but maybe it cost too much more.

Is the cost of raw materials and fabrication of laminates in thin sheets more than the cost of using thicker ferrites?

How would laminates be done in thin sheets like that?

Does anyone have some recommendations on cheap materials and fabrication methods?

What's the intended field geometry? Laminated metal has very bad performance (hige losses) for field components perpendicular or transverse to the sheet.

center magnetic material with low losses between 50KHz and 200KHz

As you yourself have mentioned, ferrites are the material of choice here. If you are trying to aim for a resonator, you are looking for a high Q and low losses.

If high quality ferrites in large sizes are already available that meets your requirement, then that answers the question.

Large sizes are going to be very expensive because heat treatments of larger sheets need very long times.

Best bet is to assemble the required area using smaller squares (or rectangles) of standard ferrites using any high quality glue- just like a brickwork.

Video and audio industries used magnetic tapes (for recordings) that are thin films deposited on plastic sheets.

What's the intended field geometry? Laminated metal has very bad performance (hige losses) for field components perpendicular or transverse to the sheet.

Yeah, its perpendicular.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I had already designed the brick work and it all worked out to so many pieces that the material and fab cost was really going up. It was then I started wondering if I could use sheets of something and laser cut a lot of gaps towards the center.
maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.