Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dithering to increase SNR [MATLAB]

Status
Not open for further replies.

stenzer

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm currently evaluating my measurement hardware by means of its SNR behaviour. The circuit is designed to digitize a DC voltage. For test proposes I'm using a constant DC voltage.

To increase the SNR for low analoge signal levels, I'm performing an averaging. This works as expected for low input signal amplitudes (low SNR) e.g. 100 samples +20dB SNR, 1k samples +30dB SNR and so on.
What I have noticed, there is an "upper" limit. At this point the SNR doesn't increase by increasing the number of averaged samples. By having a look on the histogram of my raw (non-averaged) samples, there is a low number of gaussian distributed pins/frequencies.

In my opinion the SNR can not by increased at this point as the deviation of the data is too low. So I think, a possebility to increase the SNR further would be dithering. Has anyone performed dithering in MATLAb so far? Would white gaussian noise with an amplitude of +-1/2 LSB be sufficient, or are there other distributions with a better performance?

BR

You rather want an uniform than a gaussian distribution for the dither signal.

Hi FvM,

thank you for your reply.

So I will use an uniform distribution.

THX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back