Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modbus ASCII applications and its difference with Modbus RTU

Status
Not open for further replies.

furqankaimkhani

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings nicest people on earth,

I am reading about Modbus Protocol. Through internet reading, i got to know about the types of Modbus.
Now my question are:

1: Where is Modbus ASCII used (its applications nowadays)?
2: Can i recognize a Modbus ASCII?

I know that if i see a PLC communicating using a Serial Cable with the DB-9 Connector, then i can guess that it is Modbus. But, whether it is Modbus RTU or Modbus ASCII is still not clear to me. In this regards, can you please explain the following:

1: Does Modbus ASCII also use the Rs-232, RS-422 and RS-485 Protocols?
2: Is there any difference in the Electrical Voltage levels of Modbus RTU and Modbus ASCII?
3: What is the main factor that will make one choose Modbus ASCII over Modbus RTU?

Anxiously waiting for answers from the brilliant minds out there
Regards,

Greetings KlausST

Yes, i have read this link too. And not really, this link does not talk much about the queries that i have stated above. My queries have risen basically because i have not practically seen a cable in my hand and say,"Hmm... so, this is the ASCII Cable"

Regards,

Hi,

you talk about and mix different things.

Protocol:
* MODBUS ASCII
* MODBUS RTU

Electrical interface:
* RS-232
* RS-485
* RS-422

Generally you can use any interface with any protocol.

It´s like:
* Protocol --> language (English, German ...)
* Electrical interface --> transport medium (Letter, wired telephone, radio)
-->You may send informations in English as well as in German language via letter, telephone or radio...

--> There is no "ASCII cable"
(As there is no telephone line for English and another telephone line for German)

I know that if i see a PLC communicating using a Serial Cable with the DB-9 Connector, then i can guess that it is Modbus.
It could also be:
* PROFIBUS
* MPI

Klaus

Added:
Read this for more detailed informations: www.modbus.org/docs/Modbus_over_serial_line_V1.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back