Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital filter projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacki

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Any possible research study that can be done on digital filters?

Initially, I was thinking about a study on analog filters, but I won't be able to implement them and would also require knowledge of AMS. Still, project ideas on analog design are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Digital filters are based on FFT(Fast Fourier Transform)
Mainly 2 types of digital filters are there
FIR(Finite Impulse Response)
IIR(Infinite ...........)

Hi,

Digital filters are based on FFT(Fast Fourier Transform)
Mainly 2 types of digital filters are there
FIR(Finite Impulse Response)
IIR(Infinite ...........)

I agree that all follow the same rules and may be explained with Fourier...
But some digital filter topologies are similar to analog filters, like a "biquad" for example.

But "digital filter" is a very brad range. They may be linear, nonlinear, variable order and filter characteristic, but they may also be two dimensional (for pictures) or even higher dimension.
There are "digital filters" able to recognize veins in pictures made by ultrasonic or other tools, and are able to show a 3D model on the PC screen.

It's a very huge range..

Klaus

Reactions: blacki

blacki

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
something for beginners, I only have an undergrad level of understanding about digital filters.
I want to go step by step, hence something that is not too advanced.

Thanks in advance!!

Analog filters are very easy to study in free simulation tools such as LTSpice.

My suggestion would be to study both: Build and simulate an analog RC filter (single order low pass) and then build and simulate the same filter digitally (first order IIR). And grow from there.

PSIM is an ideal tool for doing this. Matlab/simulink as well.

Reactions: blacki

blacki

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I mostly wanted to learn HDL through filters, anyways do you have any other ideas for a research project, which uses HDL. I am open to learning both HDL and AMS-HDL and have around 6 to 7 months on my hand.

I mostly wanted to learn HDL through filters, anyways do you have any other ideas for a research project, which uses HDL.
Won't recommend that.
On one side you need to tackle with HDL coding tips n tricks and on the other side you can be easily overwhelmed with the growing complexity of filters.

You can start learning HDL by starting with simple things such as counters, moving on to writing and reading to/from FIFOs, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back