Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clarification about how to create the VCD files with Modelsim

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierh.santiago

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I know that I have to use the netlist in PrimeTime Px for power estimation, but Do I need to use the netlist file in Modelsim to generate the VCD file, or the original code (given to DesignCompiler) is enough? I try both methods, and definitively the simulation with the original code is much faster but not sure if this way is completely wrong or if it is just a poor estimation.

-Francisco

I am assuming by the original code, you mean RTL code. In order to accurately run the power simulation, you need netlist and VCD file.

I know that I have to use the netlist in PrimeTime Px for power estimation, but Do I need to use the netlist file in Modelsim to generate the VCD file, or the original code (given to DesignCompiler) is enough? I try both methods, and definitively the simulation with the original code is much faster but not sure if this way is completely wrong or if it is just a poor estimation.

-Francisco

I am assuming by the original code, you mean RTL code. In order to accurately run the power simulation, you need netlist and VCD file.

Yes, I meant RTL code. But, My questions which code (RTL or netlist) I need to generate the VCD file?

-Francisco

You need to generate VCD from your gate-level sim, that is VCD from netlist simulation

Yes, I meant RTL code. But, My questions which code (RTL or netlist) I need to generate the VCD file?

-Francisco

-Francisco

it's a poor estimation as it only assigns toggle rates to the primary inputs and maybe flops of your design. you need a vcd from the gate level sim to estimate power more accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back