+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 1

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

CADSTAR help needed with documentation symbols

Hi, I'm new to CADSTAR but have used just about every other PCB package with out this problem and support don't seem to want to help figure it out.
    I would like to create a set of notes that could be pulled into a design time after time from the library, and then edited. It's dumb text/lines, stuff like manufacturing/assembly notes.
    It appears I can create a symbol for this, but it's not changeable once in the design. How do other get round this ?, I could of course create a DXF file to read in every time.
    Cheers, Ian

•   AltAdvertisment

Advanced Member level 3
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    233 / 233
    Level

Re: CADSTAR help needed with documentation symbols

Yes, ISTR You can do this depending upon what version CADSTAR you use.

There are documentation attributes that can be made, then you place that attribute in the symbol.
    Then once in the design you can change the attribute value by double clicking on it or bringing up the attribute editor.

For regular used notes you can create alternative versions of the symbol and simply replace them in the design.

Seems you just cannot get support that knows what they are talking about any more :)
    Before you ask - have you searched the forum? Have you searched Google? - Please do so.
    Please do not ask me in private - ask in public. Also please do not ask me to be a forum friend.
    If I have gone to the effort to help you etc then please have the decency to at least acknowledge it and do not just ask a question then never come back..

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisment

Advanced Member level 3
    Helped
    82 / 82
    Level

If I have gone to the effort to help you etc then please have the decency to at least acknowledge it and do not just ask a question then never come back..
    Ah well.... It seems Ian is a 1 post wonder.
    Please do not PM me questions that are better asked in the PCB forum :)

•   AltAdvertisment

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    610 / 610
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by ian_t View Post
    Hi, I'm new to CADSTAR but have used just about every other PCB package with out this problem and support don't seem to want to help figure it out.
    I would like to create a set of notes that could be pulled into a design time after time from the library, and then edited. It's dumb text/lines, stuff like manufacturing/assembly notes.
    It appears I can create a symbol for this, but it's not changeable once in the design. How do other get round this ?, I could of course create a DXF file to read in every time.
    Cheers, Ian
    Or just have a text document, that you could cut and paste in, many options. Support can't help you when the software dose not allow exactly what you want, you have to improvise.

Advanced Member level 3
    Helped
    82 / 82
    Level

Or just do as suggested above and use a documentation symbol with documentation attributes in it.
    Please do not PM me questions that are better asked in the PCB forum :)

--[[ ]]--