Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what are the inputs and outputs for floorplanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lh-

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i found this question which answers my question: https://www.edaboard.com/showthread...nputs-and-outputs-of-floorplan-and-power-plan

however, i'm not clearly sure about what i need to do.
for a uni project i'm writing a software (from scratch) to do floorplanning. what i need to do is to determine the widths and heights of the modules, and their coordinates.
the constraints include area, width/height aspect ratio, whether rotation of modules is allowed.
question 1: are these enough conditions to do floorplanning?

my second question is this:
as far as i understand, i can give an input to my program in form of a graph where vertices are the modules (not sure what data about a module? width and height should be calculated, so what?) and edges are the connections between the modules. is this graph enough as an input for my program?

i found this question which answers my question: https://www.edaboard.com/showthread...nputs-and-outputs-of-floorplan-and-power-plan

however, i'm not clearly sure about what i need to do.
for a uni project i'm writing a software (from scratch) to do floorplanning. what i need to do is to determine the widths and heights of the modules, and their coordinates.
the constraints include area, width/height aspect ratio, whether rotation of modules is allowed.
question 1: are these enough conditions to do floorplanning?

my second question is this:
as far as i understand, i can give an input to my program in form of a graph where vertices are the modules (not sure what data about a module? width and height should be calculated, so what?) and edges are the connections between the modules. is this graph enough as an input for my program?

it is enough but not good. you need some sort of notion of connectivity to rank/assess the floorplan solution. you need pin information, which comes from a netlist.

does that mean that i need to parse the netlist to get the pin info?

okay. so when i get pin info, also say i have die size info, how would i use the pin info? do i need it to eliminate the space for pins from die size, and then start doing the floorplan?

You are confusing pins with pads. When I say pins, I mean block pins and macro pins. There are also pins that go to/come from pads. All of that info is present in the netlist.

okay, then why do i need pin info?

Maybe you have never seen a flooplan tool in action, I'd recommend you do so.

You need connectivity info to know which module talks to which module and therefore which module should be next to which module. The goal is to minimize the usage of routing resources by placing related modules next to each other.

i will try to ask someone to show me how it works.
i just googled "integrated circuit pin diagram". i guess i need pin info to place the modules that need to be connected with their corresponding pins, close to the edges of the chip surface.

- - - Updated - - -

seems like i was again talking about pads?
looking at the below pic, i can see that pins are located at the edges of modules. Capture.PNG
the book also says:
Pin assignment connects outgoing
signal nets to block pins.
but i don't understand exactly what that means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back