Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transistor state in cadence vertuso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junus2012

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends, while I am designing CMOS amplifier in cadence vertuso i usually check if the transistor in triode, saturation, cutoff or weal inversion by reading the region from the simulator as follow

region 0 : cutoff
region 1: triode
region 2: satuation
region 3: weak inversion
region 4: breakdown

I know from books that if VDS (sat) is less than 100mV it means the transistor is in weak inversion, but I have many transistors in my design they have like VDS(sat) = 60 mv but the simulator still indicating it as region 2

is the region read from cadence are trustable or not

thank you in advance

Dear Junus,
the saturation region depends on the gm over ID ratio that is equal to 2/(VGS-VTH). The weak inversion occours for gm/Id in range 15 - 25 S/A. Probably in your case with 60 mW you don't satisfy this criteria.

BR

Trustable, don't use SPICE level 1 equations with BSIM4 models. Low channel devices cannot be modeled with these simple equations. Region function is correct.

Thank you guys for your help,

now i will trust the cadence while I am using 1 um channel length, second I need to read about gm/Id method

In more realistic models transistors could be in moderate inversion even when the simulator shows that Vgs-Vt<0. As mentioned above, it is really the gm/Id that says when transistor enters the weak inversion region. For example, you can try to plot the gm/Id vs. Vgs or vs. Vgs-Vt and look at what values of Vgs-Vt the curve flattens out.

could you guys refer me to an article of how to use the gm/Id in simulation phase or in design,,, i never see it in any analog book

thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you but how to do it by simulation

There is a book from last year on the topic
"Systematic Design of Analog CMOS Circuits: Using Pre-Computed Lookup Tables" by Jaspers and Murmann.
Also, if you somehow manage to find Boris Murmann's lectures for EE214B, he talks there about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back