Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

synchronize boards with 3 Meter distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

aminpix

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have 8 boards with micro-controller (stm32) on them and they are connected. They should work synchronized with each other. The micro-controllers should execute a function or process at the same time. These boards are between 50cm to 4 m away from each other and connected with a cable. How can I synchronize these boards and make the micro-controller go through the procedure at the same time?

I was thinking to use signal and send a pulse to synchronize when these boards should start the procedure. I don't think a signal with a single cable will work because of the distance between the boards (even if I use buffers).

Anybody have any ideas?

Use an interrupt in the software.

What’s your timing requirement? Signals move very fast and high speed buffers are <10ns delay. I doubt they’ll pose a significant problem.

Get quantitative, or the question is worthless.

1nS/foot more or less means maybe 10-15nS of skew end
to end. Does this matter to a 1 MHz clocked uC? Probably
not. To a 100MHz clock rate serial link? Perhaps, depending
on CLK:D skew match.

A "star" clock, data feed could be made to match lengths
(though some will "just be wasting cable", according to
people who do not know your timing concerns).

The micro-controllers should sync 10 times per second. I will use interrupt to sync the micro's but how should I send the pulse signal from one micro to other micro? The pulse would damage if it travels 3 metes in a wire.

Hi,

OK, now we know how often you want to synchronize.

* But what signal do you want to synchronize
* and what deviation in time (synchronization error) do you allow?

The pulse would damage if it travels 3 metes in a wire.
What does this mean?

Klaus

* But what signal do you want to synchronize

I want to synchronize this 8 micro-controller. They should start executing a function or procedure at the same time.

* and what deviation in time (synchronization error) do you allow?

The micro-controllers are working with 70MHz clock, deviation or error up to 2 clocks is acceptable.

The boards are 3 meters (10 feet)away of each other and they can be connected with wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back