Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] IRS2110 IRS2113 SD pin and Rattlesnakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fourtytwo

My wife kept saying my malfunctioning circuit sounded like a rattlesnake, well her hearing is a might higher pitched than mine but sure enough the main transformer of my half bridge kept saturating, fortunately the overcurrent detector was shutting it down before any serious damage but what was the cause ? I investigated dozens of circuit nodes with the scope, some harder than others due to the voltages involved. Eventually I discovered the high-side was unaccountably shutting down meaning the transformer went out of balance and the following low side period the transformer went into saturation. My mind leapt to high side UVLO, now this is a real beast to prove as not only are all the signals switching but they have a huge voltage swing so seeing a volt or so difference to determine if the UVLO threshold is being tripped is hard indeed, to be sure I replaced the boost components and increased the chips supply voltage neither of which fixed the problem! Then I got to thinking of switching transients upsetting the substrate bias but nope nothing exceeded the chip spec Hmmmmm

I should mention due to a previous failure of the entire half bridge that took the driver out I had replaced both mosfets and the driver chip, I decided to also up the latter from a 2110 to a 2113 to maybe save it the next time around but otherwise the circuit, pcb and all was identical to when everything had been working normally.

In order to probe the actual chip pins more closely I fitted a chip-clip and the problem went away!! Needless to say I thought this was crazy so repeated the test several times but it remained ok with chip clip on, bad with off! (Way back in the 70's this would often happen with high speed logic and there used to be a standing joke about shipping pcb's to the customer with chip-clips in place to ensure it worked).

So a few pF somewhere fixes something! Then it struck me the input pins were the highest impedance and the SD pin is not used in this design and left floating (well there is a so-called internal pulldown) however when the pin was hard grounded the fault went away chip-clip on or off Phew!! Interestingly with the old chip this had not been a problem.

The date codes of both chips were the same (713P). The funny thing is there appeared to be no effect on the low-side driver at all and that's what initially led me to ignore the SD pin, anyway peeps don't leave it floating if your not using it as suggested in the data sheet, even just a pin with nothing connected to the pad gets enough pickup in a high dv/dt environment to cause mysterious trouble.

The scope shot shows yellow HIN red HO, so normally the waveform is as expected until the high side unexpectedly does not turn on at all (remember this waveform also includes transformer primary ringing) but the low side continues to operate normally. The trigger point is the primary overcurrent signal that shuts everything down (fortunately as I have blown tracks off the pcb several times when this part failed)!

Attachments

• ext_trig PWMOC red high gate yel driver HIN.png
    ext_trig PWMOC red high gate yel driver HIN.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

Don´t you think it´s a good idea to post the schematic of your circuit?

Klaus

Umm it's a half bridge and the IRS211x is documented in the data sheet.

Hi,

and the IRS211x is documented in the data sheet.
Do you agree that there´s something wrong with your circuit?

Now let´s assume there´s something wrong with your tv set.
Do you go to the repair center and do you refer to the manual of your tv set, or do you show them the defective tv set?

It really makes sense to show your exact schematic.
We will in first step check your schematic.

And in case we find that your schematic is good..
we will go to next step and ask for your PCB layout and photos of your wiring..

By checking the schematic of the datasheet we most probably will not be able find the problem of your circuit.
For sure there is a small chance that the schematic in the datasheet is wrong. But in most cases it´s not ;-) ...

Klaus

Dear me I was only trying to help other people using this chip in an amusing fashion, if all your going to do is jump down my throat I wont bother again.

PS I already know what the problem is!

Hi,

I´m not angry.
I´m just asking for useful informations.

I apologise if you feel bad.

Klaus

basically these always boil down to insufficient charge pumping for the high side, too much drain on the high side - wrong ckt, bad power stage layout causing undershoot of the mid point of the half bridge ....

Sorry Klaus I don't give away schematics easily and they don't contain anything that is not in the apps note for the purposes of this particular problem. I should mention the driver is within 30mm of the mosfets and all interconnects are straight, heavy & no via's.

Easy Peasy I did say I had measured everything exhaustively including the things you allude too, the proof of the pudding being since connecting the SD pin to VSS the circuit has been running normally for many hours. As for the layout I have been designing and in some cases laying out high speed logic and switching power circuits since before 1980, but I double checked with actual measurements as we all make mistakes right :)

PS I already know what the problem is!
Yes, and you described it in post #1. But apparently people overlooked the respective part of your post.

I must confess that I never had an unterminated SD pin in any IR210x application, thus I didn't get the opportunity for a similar experience. To better understand the prerequisites, is there an aggressor net near the SD pin, e.g. on a layer below it, or is it presumedly a matter of capacitive crosstalk inside the chip?

Reactions: fourtytwo

F

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you FvM and I shall certainly not make that mistake again! It is a double sided board with no copper fills in the area just ordinary tracks, it is a 14 pin dip package with normal sized pads meaning there is ~1.8mm between pads. For aggressor nodes the pads either side are the high & low inputs both driven at 3V by a PIC MPU via 10R source resistors. There is however a nice fat VCC (+12V) feed track within 0.2mm and given this is ~13mm from the nearest decoupler it has potential!

I must admit in retrospect the spec is very grey about the value of these internal puldowns indeed there is actually no minimum given for the input leakage current meaning they could be extremely high, only a typical value that translates to 1MegOhm.

In short caught out by a bit of marketing splurge (we have input pulldowns) that is unreliable as ever, why I didn't just tie it low probably a lifetimes aversion to maintain testability!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, if you need testability, you'll probably place an external 1k to 5k pull down.

Reactions: fourtytwo

F

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
a ckt showing the SD pin was not terminated would have got the answer on here a lot quicker ...

a ckt showing the SD pin was not terminated would have got the answer on here a lot quicker ...
Not receiving replies from people who cannot be bothered to read the post would be even better!

Status
Not open for further replies.