Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Export ADS equations to text file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuBill

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm simulating my circuit in ADS. I was successful with exporting variables to text file using write_var. But I do not know how to export equations (from MeasEqn blocks) to text file. I've tried but it gave the following error: Evaluation failed for 'x5 = write_var("PCE_area.txt","W","PCE area","","f", 3, PCE_Curve1)': "x5": operand: invalid field access.

Please have a look at my circuit and the MeasEqn blocks. PCE_Curve1 is a scalar as attached. Any advice is highly appreciated.

My schematic.JPG
PCE curve.JPG

Maybe this is a problem in what order the MeasEqn are evaluated.

I would try to export from the data display instead. The advantage is that you can inspect/debug each variable in detail.

Dear Volker,

Thank you very much for your comment. Could you please explain more about the order the MeasEqn are avaluated? I do not understand this.
I've tried to export from data display. It is okay, but because I need to do a lot of iterations, so it will be very time-consuming to manually extract the results each time. I'm looking for an automatic method to extract data for post-processing.

See netlist.
You can understand incorporations of MeasEqn in netlist.

I'm looking for an automatic method to extract data for post-processing.
Use write_var() in DataDisplay not Schematic.
Or write custom script using AEL.
You can run custom AEL from command line.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuBill

SuBill

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Could you please explain more about the order the MeasEqn are avaluated? I do not understand this.

You have multiple MeasEqn blocks, and one MeasEqn uses results from the other MeasEqn. I don't know if ADS is smart enough to evaluate this in the correct order.

I've tried to export from data display. It is okay, but because I need to do a lot of iterations, so it will be very time-consuming to manually extract the results each time. I'm looking for an automatic method to extract data for post-processing.

I meant to move some equations and write_var() to the data display, where are results are available. You can make the data display come up automatically after simulation, so that is where I place my equations in my automated workflows.

SuBill

See netlist.
You can understand incorporations of MeasEqn in netlist.

Use write_var() in DataDisplay not Schematic.
Or write custom script using AEL.
You can run custom AEL from command line.

Thank you very much for your comment. I tried using Eqn to write write_var() in Data Display, but it gave error: While evaluating x1, L4: word undefined. I used the same equation of x1 as in the schematic.

It seems in Data Display the variables are not recognized. How to use variables in Data Display is what I still do not know.

- - - Updated - - -

You have multiple MeasEqn blocks, and one MeasEqn uses results from the other MeasEqn. I don't know if ADS is smart enough to evaluate this in the correct order.

I meant to move some equations and write_var() to the data display, where are results are available. You can make the data display come up automatically after simulation, so that is where I place my equations in my automated workflows.

Thank you for your advise. Yes I tried to move write_var() to the data display as pancho_hideboo recommended in the previous post, but the problem was the variable L4 was not recognized.

Open simulation controler for HB Analysis, you can find output tab.
Note : Saved variable data have sweep dependency.
You have to know it.
You can know dependency by what() function in data display.

SuBill

Open simulation controler for HB Analysis, you can find output tab.
Note : Saved variable data have sweep dependency.
You have to know it.
You can know dependency by what() function in data display.

Got it! It is working now. Thank you so much for your help. Just one more question, about the dependency. In my case, dependency of L4 is Pin. With 401 values of Pin, there are 401 values of L4 but they are the same (of course, it does not change in one time of simulation). So, how can I export just ONE value of L4 (for example, L4 at Pin=0 dBm) into the file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back