Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

looking for high potting voltage insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak28

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
do they sell barium titanate epoxy resin or some other very high withstand voltage pot compound anywhere?

Do you mean epoxy resin filled with barium titanate powder? What should it be good for? The ceramic has extremely high permittivity, causing inhomogenous field distribution and promote dielectric breakdown in the surrounding low permittivity isolators.

Do you mean epoxy resin filled with barium titanate powder? What should it be good for? The ceramic has extremely high permittivity, causing inhomogenous field distribution and promote dielectric breakdown in the surrounding low permittivity isolators.

I thought the same thing would be the case, the only way to make use of it is to have a solid body of any given dielectric material otherwise its of no use. I read that low dielectric constant resins can perform as a high dielectric if they have some of the high dielectric inside the resin but its not the case.

If you manage to achieve a quasi homogenous high Er potting material, you get high field strength and potential dielectric breakdown in the insulation of the potted components.

Where did you get the idea that high Er potting material is advantageous? I never heard about that.

I read a suggestion on a board but it already seemed unlikely to me even before I read it since to achieve a useful mixture very precises measurements, calculations and very specialized mixing machines are needed.

if they have some of the high dielectric inside the resin but its not the case.

You are right. The particle boundaries will experience a large field and can cause breakdown. Homogeneous materials will be the preferred choice. Even some inert gas at high pressure will provide a good insulation. But why BaTiO3? Why not Al2O3 or SiO2 filled resins?

For very high voltages, vacuum is also a good insulator (it can breakdown only by pair production)

Epoxy resin is solvent free and can basically cure in a vacuum. But you'll better degas the resin by applying a vacuum and then reapply pressure to make the remaining air bubbles collapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back