Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find proximity loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghufran12

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
I have given a task to calculate skin loss and proximity loss in inductor. since the current wave is triangular so Fourier decomposition applies.I have already calculated the skin loss by finding ac resistance and using it into I^2*R formula then I am able to calculate skin loss. For proximity loss, calculation work has been done for ac resistance but how to find the proximity loss using ac resistance. I think for proximity loss, simple (I^2)R formula is not valid. need guidance. I have checked many documents on internet but all of them are for sinusoidal waveforms

There's essentially no difference between the treatment of skin and proximity losses. Both are frequency dependent, I²R has to be calculated separately for each Fourier component of a non-sinusoidal waveform.

proximity loss is dependent on winding configuration - e.g. if you put 1mm card between layers prox loss will go down ...

p.s. the difference between triangle and sine wave is only a few percent - fr your calcs it makes essentially no difference...

Status
Not open for further replies.