Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Isolated vs Non Isolated DC-DC Converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary36

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have an application that requires +/-15V power supply for set of op-amps that consume in total less than 10mA (using low power op-amps)
I have only 5V power supply on board. I was exploring two options for deriving power supplies for op-amp

1. 5V to +/-15V boost converter
2. DC-DC Converter.

Option1 requires some external components besides the IC and wanted integrated solution and opted for option 2.

DC-DC converter for such low power is available only on isolated versions. Non isolated versions are bulky and high power. Can I simply connect two grounds of isolated dc-dc converter?

Hi,

I agree.

Non_isolated solution:
Use switched capacitor circuit as voltage doubler and voltage inverter.

Check whether:
* +5V / -5V
* +10V / -10V
is suffucient to ease design.

Klaus

If you application this is related to pre-amp module for microphone or turntable head, with out proper power supply you will have tremendous electrical noise issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.