Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can anyone help me identify this IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stFalloutBoy

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Tue Jan 22 17-58-09.jpg

It's a 24 Pin wider body DIP, I thought it might be by Hitachi but then realized this an H is not their symbol.

I'm trying to figure out who it's manufacturer is as well as it's purpose.

Thanks in advance.

A good starting place is to tell us what the IC is part of.
If it's part of a battery charger for example, we would immediately exclude the possibility of it being a video DSP.

Brian.

Hi,

Have you looked at devices like the M8214? Google brought the STMicroelectronics L6229D up in the first 10 results, for some reason... If you want to look through this, National Digital Integrated Circuits, there's a "DM7214/DM8214 TRI-STATE® Dual 4:1 Multiplexer" somewhere in those 640 pages.

Thanks I'll have a look, I have a few tubes of these that were given to me and I could not find a manufacturer with H barring hitachi which has been brought by renasys. ( however that name is spelt - I get it wrong every time I try ).

A good starting place is to tell us what the IC is part of.
If it's part of a battery charger for example, we would immediately exclude the possibility of it being a video DSP.

Brian.

It's not in anything at the moment, I have some tubes of them and that's all I know other than they are 24 pin widebody dip.

I wouldn't pursue this too far, when a manufacturer doesn't show a logo it usually means it's a custom part for a special job and not sold under a generic name. That means no data will be available. Given the 1979 date code, it isn't likely to be anything very useful these days.

Brian.

I found a part numbered btt 8214 7841 at site named "vintage parts.com". There was no information about the part at the site. I'm doubtful but maybe if you contact them they can give you more info.

Given the 1979 date code, it isn't likely to be anything very useful these days.

Hi,

Good point but can't resist the quip: What? Similar to the LM324, (the 741), the 78xx, the 555, SN74xx, CD4000, etc.? ;).

Hi,
BTT means eventually Bell/British Telephone and Telegraph company or so?
BTW; his wide body suggest me a function as some Memory/ROM or even special speech prcessor, speech notice-memory, Intel had until 70`s an **broken link removed** in 24 pin Cerdip ...
K.

Last edited:

It certainly isn't an Intel 8214, I think I have some in stock here. The Intel is branded with the 'i' logo and the 8214 was an interrupt prioritizer for the 8080 MCU family. I have some strange things in my storage boxes here!

Almost certainly the 'BTT' is a house code system. When a custom device is made, the number on it is decided by the designer and it rarely if ever follows the coding the same manufacturer uses for generic devices. Being of 1979 date code it could be a small scale memory but unlikely to be more than around 2K capacity and I would think it unlikely to be a complex device. There were no gate programmable devices in that era and the standard MCU was the 8080 and Z80.

There was no "British Telephone and Telegraph" company, at least one involved in electronics, they used the name "Standard Telephones and Cables" or STC but if I remember, their custom devices used STT prefixes.

Brian.

It certainly isn't an Intel 8214, I think I have some in stock here. The Intel is branded with the 'i' logo and the 8214 was an interrupt prioritizer for the 8080 MCU family. I have some strange things in my storage boxes here!

Almost certainly the 'BTT' is a house code system. When a custom device is made, the number on it is decided by the designer and it rarely if ever follows the coding the same manufacturer uses for generic devices. Being of 1979 date code it could be a small scale memory but unlikely to be more than around 2K capacity and I would think it unlikely to be a complex device. There were no gate programmable devices in that era and the standard MCU was the 8080 and Z80.

There was no "British Telephone and Telegraph" company, at least one involved in electronics, they used the name "Standard Telephones and Cables" or STC but if I remember, their custom devices used STT prefixes.

Brian.

It is entirely possible it is static ram. I have two other sets of 24 pin wide body IC's - with completely different numbering which are Async CMOS 2048W x 8 Bit Static Ram, I may have to do some testing with them, it's not like I haven't got enough of them as I have 887 units so blowing up a few trying to figure out what they are would not be a problem. It's just a matter of coming up with the best suite of tests to determine what they are.

A trick you can try - but it isn't conclusive, is to apply a small voltage through a resistor across the pins and see what happens on the other pins. It is tedious to do but might reveal something. What you do is apply no more than about 1V through a 1K resistor across pairs of pins and using a DVM measure from the negative side to each other pin. The idea is to discover which pins are the supply and which are signal/data pins. Wire it like this:

1V supply, negative to one probe and the negative side of the DVM.
1V supply, positive via 1K to the other probe.
Connect a resistor of about 10K across the DVM negative and positive.
Probe the pins with the positive DVM probe.

The idea is that the supply and ground pins have more internal circuitry on them so they will conduct more current between them. The pins with highest voltage on the DVM are probably the supplies VSS and VDD. Other pins will probably have protection diodes on them so they will only slightly conduct the excess voltage across the 10K load and DVM. When you know which pins are VSS or VDD you can look at data sheet pin outs and make an educated guess at what it might be or is likely not to be.

The check is far from ideal and you might find there are additional supply pins which confuse the readings. I would not advise you guess at what they are based on similar devices you have seen, they could be anything and even if you know their base number, finding data on them might be impossible.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.