+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Do Broadcom's Ethernet chipsets need special software to operate?

I want to implement an Ethernet switch using Broadcom's chips. Are singing an NDA and getting the datasheets enough to work with the chips? I have heard that the chips must be programmed by a special OS and software that are not available easily, even by Broadcom!

Could anyone who has worked with Broadcom's Ethernet switching chips explain them and their setting up procedure? What steps are needed to make them work? Is it hard to work with them?
    Actually, I thought the chips have something such as I2C interface by which we totally configure them. Is the setting up procedure different from my assumption?

•   AltAdvertisement

Member level 2
    If you like the post, please press "Like".
    Helped
    8 / 8
    Level

Re: Do Broadcom's Ethernet chipsets need special software to operate?

Do you see "unknown device" or any other yellow question mark in your device manager? If not, the device is operating ok, but it might work only on windows 8/8.1 or 10.
    If you liked the post, please press "Give points" and "Helped me".

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4377 / 4377
    Level

Re: Do Broadcom's Ethernet chipsets need special software to operate?

You certainly need to configure them. A good starting place for information is to look for open source drivers for them, for example look at the Linux source code for Broadcom drivers and see how they work. the code will be written in 'C' so it should be easy to understand.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

--[[ ]]--