Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do Broadcom's Ethernet chipsets need special software to operate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zakhar

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to implement an Ethernet switch using Broadcom's chips. Are singing an NDA and getting the datasheets enough to work with the chips? I have heard that the chips must be programmed by a special OS and software that are not available easily, even by Broadcom!

Could anyone who has worked with Broadcom's Ethernet switching chips explain them and their setting up procedure? What steps are needed to make them work? Is it hard to work with them?
Actually, I thought the chips have something such as I2C interface by which we totally configure them. Is the setting up procedure different from my assumption?

You certainly need to configure them. A good starting place for information is to look for open source drivers for them, for example look at the Linux source code for Broadcom drivers and see how they work. the code will be written in 'C' so it should be easy to understand.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.