Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to generate the vcd file in modelsim for power estimation using PrimeTime Px

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierh.santiago

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

After generating the netlist of my circuit with Design Compiler, I proceed to generate the VCd file in modelsim in order to obtain the power estimation with Prime Time PX. My problem happens when I generate the vcd file as I am running out of space in the HDD. My question is, Do i need to dump all the signals as below command in order to estimate the power?

vcd add –r [name_testbench]/uut/*

Despite it´s a simple uut and the simulation needs to run for 20mS, the vcd files needs 55Gb of space for only 8.5ms. Could you advice on this?

-Francisco

You should be using SAIF format instead of VCD format for dumping. It's much more compact.

Could you also advise how can I generate directly the SAIF format from Modelsim? I ve just found that I can use a command vcd2saif

-francisco

There may be regions of your UUT that are not processed by Prime Time and thus should be excluded.

saif format isn't supported by Modelsim as far as I'm aware of, you may however take advantage from using the -compress option, respectively specifying *.gz file name for VCD.

You can generate a VCD that only toggles the primary inputs. The precision of the power estimation will be poor, but the file size should be much smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back