+ Post New Thread
    Junior Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

How to generate the vcd file in modelsim for power estimation using PrimeTime Px

Hello everyone,

After generating the netlist of my circuit with Design Compiler, I proceed to generate the VCd file in modelsim in order to obtain the power estimation with Prime Time PX. My problem happens when I generate the vcd file as I am running out of space in the HDD. My question is, Do i need to dump all the signals as below command in order to estimate the power?

vcd add –r [name_testbench]/uut/*

Despite it´s a simple uut and the simulation needs to run for 20mS, the vcd files needs 55Gb of space for only 8.5ms. Could you advice on this?

-Francisco

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 3
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entry 7 years registered

Helped
    355 / 355
    Level
    Blog Entries

Re: How to generate the vcd file in modelsim for power estimation using PrimeTime Px

You should be using SAIF format instead of VCD format for dumping. It's much more compact.
    Dave Rich
    Senior Verification Consultant
    Mentor Graphics Corporation

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisement

Junior Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Re: How to generate the vcd file in modelsim for power estimation using PrimeTime Px

Quote Originally Posted by dave_59 View Post
    You should be using SAIF format instead of VCD format for dumping. It's much more compact.
    Could you also advise how can I generate directly the SAIF format from Modelsim? I ve just found that I can use a command vcd2saif

-francisco

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13773 / 13773
    Level

There may be regions of your UUT that are not processed by Prime Time and thus should be excluded.

saif format isn't supported by Modelsim as far as I'm aware of, you may however take advantage from using the -compress option, respectively specifying *.gz file name for VCD.

Advanced Member level 5

Helped
    318 / 318
    Level

You can generate a VCD that only toggles the primary inputs. The precision of the power estimation will be poor, but the file size should be much smaller.
    Really, I am not Sam.

--[[ ]]--