Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which audio switching IC is suitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownt

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to make a guitar signal level, audio switching circuit. I was thinking a 4066 or 4053, but I don't know how these might degrade the signal. Are they ok, or are there some specifically designed ICs that are better. thanks

I've worked with the 4066. It's easy to use. Suitable for AC signals in either direction. Many schematics use it in audio projects, which implies it has low distortion. The min/max resistance is suitable for low amplitude waveforms.

Hi,

There are dedicated audio switches.
Just go to any manufactrer and/distributor's internet site and do a search for "audio switch" or "audio MUX".

They offer low distortion, are clickless and maybe have further audio features.
Read the datasheets.

Klaus

Klaus is right of course but I have used 405x and 4351 (the latched version of 4051) in broadcast applications very successfully. In fact they have been used for thousands of hours in TV broadcast without any complaint and they have switched video as well as audio. As long as the DC voltages at each side of the switch are close to each other there should be no problem and noise injection through the control port is too low to notice.

The 'on resistance' curves for the CMOS switches show they are reasonably linear over small signal excursions.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back