Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Algorithm for Timetabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassyboy

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am in the process of planning next year's teaching timetable for about 90 teachers. I was wondering if anyone had heard of a mathematical method to solve timetabling problems. I found a published article on using an optimisation algorithm, but it offers very little insight to the mathematical method to solve such problem.

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction to research further.

I picture a computer program where you input data from each teacher: (a) preferred days and hours, (b) non-preferred hours, (c) neutral hours. Also preferred vacation time, etc.

Add in the class schedules, building locked/unlocked times, etc.

The computer then tests a thousand different combinations, re-arranging blocks of time until it finds a schedule which satisfies all preferences. Or gets the highest score.

My father was a headmaster of a school (many years ago - in the '70s and '80s) and created the timetable each year.
Someone from the Department of Education spent a long time trying to understand how he did it and gave up as it is not (necessary) a straight forward problem. (Dad did make it harder for himself by allowing the senior pupils a fair degree of freedom in their choice of subjects and made sure that every pupil's choices were met!)
I doubt if it is a 'deterministic' process (i.e. can be done in a single pass). Trial and error (what BradtheRad suggested above) is probably the way (until quantum computing is advanced enough).
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back