Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clock for positive edge d-flipflop

Status
Not open for further replies.

akbarza

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
in attached image, i draw a circuit to clock a positive edge d-flipflop.
i have some question:
in below branch , there is three inverter. can i use only one inverter? and if i do this, is the time sufficient to reply d-flipflop as positive edge action?
for a specific clock frequency as 1Giga HZ, how do i choose the NOT and AND gate dimensions in implementation in cmos transitors? do you know a reference about this? i search google ,but i can not suitable article
thanks

Attachments

• clock_d_flipflop.pdf
    32.9 KB · Views: 91

Hi,

Most probably nobody can answer this as long as you don't provide the timing specifications for the
* inverter
* AND gate
* DFF

Klaus

The usual reason for doing that is to make use of the propagation delay through the inverter but as Klaus stated, if we don't know what the timing should be it is difficult to confirm that hypothesis.

Brian.

It is possible but doesn't have too much sense, and possibly still you should add capacitance on the output of the inverter if your D-Latch hold time is higher than the delay of the inverter + and gate.
Inverter chain is better to implement higher delay with lower consumption, to get symmetric and stable delay times at the rising and falling edges too over process and temperature variation.
If you don't want to waste area then you should use minimal device length always, and almost minimal width. Both are technology dependent, not actually a design issue, doesn't really matter the 1GHz until it is lower than the limit of your process.

Consider that edge sensitive flip flops are usually implemented as master slave topology circuit.

This is a pulse generator and it works, it can clock a flop. Is it a good idea to build one? Nope.

Hmm, interesting. I have already seen this implemented in reality and I think it wasn't too bad idea.
It was a fix to convert bunch of D-latches to edge triggered, and we didn't have double area to create MS DFF. It was very simple solution which required small area.
Not so elegant, but cost efficient and totally worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.