Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED light power supply fix recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veketti

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

Bit over 3 years ago I bought four Trio Tiber outside LED wall lights which half of them have failed. First they started blinking and then went very dim. Opened one of them and the COB led's seem to be ok. So those power supplies have failed. They are filled with resin so cannot check what component failed. I don't want to have same manufacturer power supply as these seem to be crap. So I'm asking your help to recommend what would be good power supply to replace this?
Trio_power.jpg

I checked two potential power supplies:
https://www.reichelt.de/ac-dc-3-w-350-ma-15-v-racd03-350-p159171.html?&trstct=pol_0
or
https://www.reichelt.de/led-power-supply-3-w-350-ma-slf-slt3-350is-1-p207323.html?&trstct=pol_11

Neither is exact the same spec, eg. first one is CV 15V instead of original 12V and latter CV 4-9 instead of 0.5-10V. That light has 3 COB led's of unknown type soldered to AL board, so is it driving it CC or CV wise?

Thank you in advance

Hi,

The power supply seems to have two operating modes:
* current limiting to 350mA, for LEDs with Vf <= 10V
* or voltage limiting to 12V for LEDs with If <= 300mA.

Now the qustion is:
What is your LED rating?
... to decide which operation mode is used.

Klaus

Hi,

Just find out V and I of your LED.

A measurement at full brightness (if adjustable) will do also.

Klaus

Just fed from lab power limited 10V and 300mA current was limiting it and voltage was 9.05V so Vf 3V. Then with 350mA voltage was 9.13V. So I need to limit the current and this should work:
**broken link removed**

Am I correct?

And my assumption of the led type was correct as well as it falls into that spec.

Hi,

Sounds good.
Then every 350mA CC LED supply should work.

Klaus

Just found out that our national authority for electical safety has announced that this power source is dangerous and should be pulled off from sales. Great, not only that it is bad it is also dangerous. Good thing is that the light metal casing is grounded by protective earth.

Those lights were supplied with tag telling 5yr warranty so let's see what Trio Leuchten have to say about this. 50% failure rate in three years is by any means not acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back