Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

computing rated current for inductors

Status
Not open for further replies.
It only depicts saturating current.
No. What do you think is the purpose of specified "temperature rise current" other than a current rating?

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
No. What do you think is the purpose of specified "temperature rise current" other than a current rating?

I suppose thats another way to state rated current since above that threshold it will raise temperature damaging the coil.

above that threshold it will raise temperature damaging the coil.
Not above that threshold. At that current rating, it has already risen 30ºC above ambient. Other manufacturers give the rating current for increment of 20ºC. Others, also give you a Temperature vs Current chart, e.g. Wurth.

Zak28

Hi,
According to the footnote, the temperature rise current is the current value that the inductor would rise in temperature to 50 degC from Ta=20 degC. 50 degC isn't that much of a temperature that the inductor is not supposed to withstand.

The saturation current would have the inductance drop to 65% of its nominal value. That's to say that a high (in fact destructive high) current will flow. That's what you want to avoid.

It depends more on where the product with the inductor will be used. If in an area with significant amount of ambient heat like industrial environment or automobile, then I'd say you stay below the temperature rise current value as the temperature will go higher than additional 30 degC. If it's in a domestic environment, then you can go even above the temperature rise current value, but stay well below the saturation current value.

Okay, I see that the recommended operating temperature ranges up to 100 degC so it is not suitable for automobile application.

Zak28

Hi,

What is going on here.
I could not open the pdf of post #1 (I always recommend to use the PDFs directly from the manufacturer, they are most up to date)

Not above that threshold. At that current rating, it has already risen 30ºC above ambient.

According to the footnote, the temperature rise current is the current value that the inductor would rise in temperature to 50 degC from Ta=20 degC

The datasheet from manufacturer, dated (Revised: 6-Jan-17) says this:
3 Temperature rise current: the actual value of D.C. current when the temperature of coil becomes △T=40℃ (Ta=20℃).

Klaus

A sumida datasheet I found shows a 104NP at T=40c. And the 104RNP at T=30c.

Obviously, different datasheets revisions with different figures. The datasheet in post #1 must have been revised. It doesn't have a revision date and is from Sumida.

You should go with the latest revision then.

First point has been clarified, the Sumida datasheets give sufficient information about current rating.

Second point is how to read it. Assuming ΔT of 30 or 40 K for Idc temperature rise is just an arbitrary decision. You should be aware that in a usual switcher application, you have both copper and core losses. With high switching frequencies, core losses may cause a temperature rise similar to current related losses, total temperature rise is doubled then. Thus the low seeming 30 or 40 K makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.