Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using PLL(CD4046) to generate a 90° shifted signal, how to manage 10Hz - 1MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

A couple of years ago or something I was getting advice here on EdaBoard about how to design a dual-channel Lock-In Amplifier(LIA) with the goal of being able to measure complex impedance across a frequency range of 10Hz - 1MHz, I was told(I have received the same answers from other places as well) that a Phase-Locked Loop(PLL) can be used to create a reference signal for the second Phase-Sensitive Detector(PSD) that is phase shifted by 90° from the original reference signal that drives the first PSD.

But I am trying to learn about PLL's and I have chosen to look at the CD4046 first, it's datasheet states that it can manage frequencies below 1,2MHz so I know it can manage the highest frequency that I'm concerned with e.i. 1MHz. I would like to ask some questions about how to make the PLL to be able to phase shift a reference signal that will be adjusted between 10Hz and 1MHz but first I have something else to ask.

How exactly would I use a CD4046 to phase shift a reference signal?
I have read through these two documents which are the datasheet and an application note, but I still don't understand how this 90° phase shift function would be implemented or achieved.

Are there anyone here who could enlighten me as to how to use a PLL to perform this task?

Regards

XOR phase detector will lock when there is 90deg of phase shift between signals.

Yes, but it doesn't lock over a frequency range wider than 2:1. You better run the VCO at fourfold frequency with a qudrature frequency divider, using the 4046 phase/frequency detector.

A first stage PLL and a /2 divider can give you the 2X
frequency to make 0, 90, 180, 270 degree phase-field
with a 2-bit counter behind it. But you might have to
step away from the crusty old CD4046 to something
with a <5um gate length. Look at "older" (like only 10
years old) PLLs from the first couple of wireless
generations, these will handle GHz and if you direct-drive
the input with logic, (rather than a capacitor-blocked
small signal RD sine wave) you have no minimum frequency.
This does however demand a high gain and clipping, to
get there from a small signal-under-test.

Status
Not open for further replies.