Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UART error detecting in micro with low resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

azadfalah

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends,

I am looking for a serial error detecting method With low error rate for micro with low resources .

Atmega8 8mhz

Is the checksum reliable?
I can't use CRC

Thanks .

Checksums are as reliable as there are combinations of bits in them. The real answer depends on what the serial data contains and whether you can afford to add any correction to it. CRC isn't difficult and is more reliable than a simple checksum.

Brian.

If you have a high error rate and not randomly distributed errors, e.g. errors associated with specific data words, crc is better. For low errors rates, the performance is similar.

From your description it sounds like you are in control of whatever means you choose (the protocol) in which case I suggest you use the simple expedient of transmitting each byte twice and the receiver comparing them, ignoring those that don't match.

I use this in lots of low power simple communications with simple micro's, it is neither memory nor MIPS hungry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.