Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NI-MH Battery charger circuit help

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxim10373

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Friends
I need a charger circuit for 12x 1.2volt,2100Mah NI-MH Batteries .(14.4V)
here what will the out put voltage and current for charging this 12 batteries ?
which switching transformer for suitable this application ?
Can you help?

maxim10373

Hi,

These are interesting, not sure if you've seen them. Both say NI-MH are prefereably charged at a C/10 rate.

NiMH Battery Charging Basics

I think besides peer reviews of suitable ICs/switching supplies, it's good to go through manufacturers - such as TI, Analog, etc. - NIMH battery charger product parametric search lists and compare a few to see if any are ideal, if an IC is part of what you're looking for.

I don't know much about this, but I'd guess you'd need something that can put out about half that capacity, so a 1 Amp supply would be ample, if at most it will only ever provide C/3.3 = 2.1/3.3 = ~0.64A (+ any housekeeping current used). And for C/10 = 0.21A minimum charging current required (+ any housekeeping current used).

One of the links says at 20ºC, minimum charging voltage is 1.41V per cell = 16.92V for 12 cells in series.

These seem quite complicated to charge and worth understanding the process and pitfalls well before starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back