Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reducing quantization noise in ADC with oversampling

Status
Not open for further replies.

akbarza

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
1- The below article explains over sampling rate is beneficial because Quantiziation noise contribution is reduced in input signal band with increasing sampling rate .
2- Dynamic element matching in flash ADC is done in which reference voltage of each comparator changes randomly with the input of next sample . It is done through random cycle of reference generator . The method reduces the errors of resistors mismatch and comparators mismatch . In this method , the disturbance in frequency domain also is distributed in frequency band and appeared as the white noise.

1) reference : Cline D.V. , " Noise, speed and power trade off in pipelined analog to digital converter " . PhD thesis , 1988 . university of california at Berkely.

explanation : I don't know the reference of (2) .
please give me more explanations about 1 and 2 especially the bold-underlined sentence or introduce a reference or article for me about it.
thanks

Hi,

this only works when the converted samples have different values.
If the signal is stable and free of noise and you get always the same sample value ... you don´t get better overall noise.

In this case you need to add an analog dither signal. (DC free triangle for example with amplitude >= 1 LSB)

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.