+ Post New Thread
    Member level 4
    Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

design a timer which turn a relay ON every 3 hours whitout a microcontroller

hi. I have an incubator which is consisting of a heating source, a themostat and a DC motor for rotating eggs. the DC motor should be turned ON every 3 hours. I do'nt want to use a microcontroller.
    do you have a circuit?
    is the relay necessary for switching the motor? I mean can the timer directly switch the motor?
    thanks
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies (The Shawshank Redemption).

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Helped
    985 / 985
    Level

Re: design a timer which turn a relay ON every 3 hours whitout a microcontroller

You want a cycle timer. Do an internet search

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    Most Frequent Poster 3rd Helpful Member

Helped
    3448 / 3448
    Level

Re: design a timer which turn a relay ON every 3 hours whitout a microcontroller

Hi,

There are small SPCs.

And you need a complete flow chart.
    You can't switch ON a device without switching it OFF. If you want to switch it OFF, then you need to define at least the timing.

is the relay necessary for switching the motor? I mean can the timer directly switch the motor?
    How can we know? We don't know anything about your motor, and we don't know anything about the "controller".

Usually there are specifications like voltage, current and type of motor (DC, AC, 3 phase, BLDC, stepper....)

Klaus
    Please don´t contact me via PM, because there is no time to respond to them. No friend requests. Thank you.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Helped
    401 / 401
    Level

Hi,

A ripple counter IC like the (CD)4060 if you don't need an extremely precise 3:00:00h, it would need a transistor to drive either the relay or the motor directly. ICs like the LM193 can drive motors directly, but only little two-wire "toy" motors that operate at low current.

--[[ ]]--