Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS Inrush Limiter to protect the secondary diodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

azadfalah

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
SMPS inrush current limiter to protect the secondary diodes

Hello friends

please guide me. What is the charge current of the capacitors in the circuit below?

And how is inrush current limited?
Are Rectifier Diodes Damaged?

20190104_210620.png

Thanks

Hi,

Not sure if this will help at all:

View attachment Design Guide for Rectifier Use Hammond 5c007.pdf

I am not familiar with series chokes in power supplies, I've seen a low value series resistor before the capacitors to limit the inrush current.

If you get the datasheet for the MUR1560 and check the diode's ratings, then you can compare it with the power drawn by the expected/maximum load and check the peak impulse rating is much higher than you are expecting.

Hi,

The picture shows the secondary part of a switch mode power supply.
The shown circuit does not work without (primary side) SMPS controller.

Inrush current limiting is done by the SMPS controller.

Klaus

Hi,
Complete schematics
50khz-4n25-sg3525-smps-ir2110-smps-900w-70v-power-supply.png

The NTC thermistor in the AC input limits the inrush current. There is no need to limit the current to the output rectifiers as well.

Brian.

More specifically, the SG3525 soft start circuit limits the transistor and rectifier current during start. With 33 uF it's dimensioned extremely slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.