Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best practice for orientation of wired linear plugs (JST SH)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maker8122

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
JST SH (1.0mm pitch) 5 pin plugs can be placed at either end of an array of wires in an UP or a DOWN orientation. (Borrowing from FFC terminology here.)

For example, this vendor (see product photos) seems to propose what I'll call UP-UP products:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10p...lgo_pvid=6036430c-5c12-430c-a940-5b7a5e5c1b66

Thing is, if one uses an UP-UP wired component then the pin order on the PCB sockets is going to be reversed: if 12345 at one end then the identical socket at the other end will be 54321 (where "1" is the red wire, "2" is the black wire so to speak).

This makes me think that it would be sensible / nice / good practice to use UP-DOWN orientated plug-cable-plugs. So that PCBs are designed in an harmonious way.

Wondering if there's some kind of convention or best practice on this?

For me, the best practice is to put the connectors where they need to be. Usually, that will be along the periphery of the PCB along the edge that is closest to where the other end of the cable is going.

This makes me think that it would be sensible / nice / good practice to use UP-DOWN orientated plug-cable-plugs. So that PCBs are designed in an harmonious way.
Yes, if no contrary objectives exist.

Thanks everyone.

Clarification helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back