Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TKEEP and TSTRB in AXI Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to understand the concepts TKEEP and TSTRB in AXI Stream. Both are byte qualifiers but in documents they are described in terms of data byte and position byte which I don't understand. Can someone please explain them in simple words with example ?

Most interfaces dont bother with TSTRB. So they only have TKEEP which is essentially a byte enable.
When used together, TKEEP indicates that a byte must be transmitted, while TSRB indicates a valid byte. So here, TKEEP can be high while TSTRB is low, meaning a null byte must be sent.

In reality, I have only ever seen TKEEP used. With packet based streams, TKEEP is used to indicate the start/end position of a packet in a stream (with all words in between set with TKEEP = all 1)

If all the bytes are valid and there is no need of byte positioning and alignment etc, then is it ok to connect TKEEP to all 1's ?

If all the bytes are valid and there is no need of byte positioning and alignment etc, then is it ok to connect TKEEP to all 1's ?

For most words, tkeep will be all 1s. Are you using some packet based interface?

Yes, I am sending data packets from custom AXI streaming block. Each data is 32 bits wide. There is a TLAST signal on every 8 data packet.

In that situation binding TKEEP to all 1's will work.

I would suggest to check your vendor specification about the IP and AXI-Stream protocol, because e.g. Xilinx in UG1037 at page 100 gives clear information how they use it e.g. in IP using AXI4-Stream Video Protocol:
IMPORTANT: TKEEP and TSROBE are not used in IP using AXI4-Stream Video Protocol. When connecting to IP requiring TKEEP or TSTRB assignments, use the default values of TKEEP=1 and TSTRB=1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back