Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PV charger battery circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew2

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to create a charger battery circuit (battery will be rechargeable 3A battery) with a pv solar panel as a resource.

I would like to to check when the battery is full charged and give an indication when is full charged.

I am looking for any available circuit to review and modify for my case.

Hi,

There are many threads here in the forum,
There are many circuits in the internet.
Every charger IC manufacturer provides datasheets and circuits.

What else are you looking for?

Klaus

battery will be rechargeable 3A battery

Do you mean 3 Amp-hours? If you wish to charge it in one day then a reasonable charge rate is 10-20 percent of 3, which makes 300 to 600 milliAmps. Does your PV panel deliver that amount to the battery?

I mean AAA battery. If i would like to charge 4 battery 1.2V each then what is the need specs of PV ?(voltage,Current, watt)
How to connect the battery for be charged i would need to connect in parallel or in series ?

The simplest and easiest arrangement is to charge batteries in series. Then you know each battery receives the same current level.

Suppose your AAA rechargeable is rated 1.5 Amp-Hrs (typical amount). So a reasonable charge rate is 150 to 300 mA. Charging voltage must be great enough to push that amount into four cells in series (about 4 x 1.5 V). By making a raw calculation you'd like your PV panel to produce 6V @ 300mA. (1.8 Watt)

A panel like that with no load might deliver 10V. This gives some allowance for variation in PV power. Your system automatically finds its equilibrium point for voltage versus Amperes.

How to monitor the charge status of the battery? (How to know if the battery is charger by10%,20%.... ) ?

Hi,

Have a look at some of these dedicated battery charger ICs, five manufacturers as examples to choose from. You haven't said what type of batteries they are, that is very important. Lead Acid are simple and just need a higher voltage shoved into them until the current drops off by itself, Li-Ion are much more complicated and dangerous if not charged correctly...

Battery Charger IC
Battery charger ICs – Products

Battery Charge Controllers
Battery Charge Management & Controllers

Don't know if you've browsed or not, but here's the link, anyway.

How to monitor the charge status of the battery? (How to know if the battery is charger by10%,20%.... ) ?

You can't take a plain voltage reading and tell how much charge is in a battery. You need to measure how many Amp-hours go to or from it. To do this you need to keep track of time and Amperes.

Also monitor temperature. As the battery reaches full, it no longer converts incoming electrical energy into electrochemical capacity. Instead it heats up more than during bulk charging.

You can get a rough idea of charge status by trying various measurements during a charge session. Watch for changes in voltage and current. Read voltage with a load attached. Etc.

It's tedious to monitor a charging cell. Each cell is different. You can maintain a chart of data each time you charge or discharge it. As time goes by it would allow you to spot changes in the health of the cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.