Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring air gap of a magnetic core for home-wound inductors and flyback transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akanimo

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

Please what are the possible ways to ensure that the air gap that you're grinding is the size that you want, especially when you're doing it at home?

I know that it could be determined by measuring inductance but I'm really interested in measuring the gap so processes could be fast.

Thanks.

Hi,

For production: use a space holder.

Any (waste) plastics, a knife and glue should do.

Klaus

If you use EDT cores (double E) as I do the best method I have found is either buy them gapped or gap the outer legs using spacers (card or paper) at 1/3rd the calculated gap, this also has the advantage of reducing the centre leg gap and hence the fringing flux that effects the winding but of course introduces fringing flux around the gapped outer legs.

I usually find a ty-wrap around the whole assembly is enough to hold the gaps closed. It's much easier to measure a thickness than a gap IMOP but you could use commonly available sparkplug feeler gauges on a plate of glass, however I must confess to never have tried grinding cores!

gap the outer legs using spacers (card or paper) at 1/3rd the calculated gap
Should be 1/2 according to my math...

I must confess, the question doesn't make much sense to me. Either you have professional grinding tools, then measuring the material removal exactly shouldn't be a problem. Or you are using DIY methods, then the surface will be likely neither flat nor parallel and height measurements gives only a rough estimation of effective gap. In both cases, inductance measurement is a way to get the exact effective permeability rather fast.

Okay, so what low-cost professional grinding tool would you recommend?

yes i would be wary of low cost gapping tools..because if ferrite is not gapped with sensitivity, then the ferrite can get fractures in it which can break at some future time..........ferrite is very brittle, and yet rock hard to grind......the ferrite has to be held very tightly, and yet not so tightly that it fractures.

Yes, DIY's for prototypes. Maybe in this case sticking to inductance measurement is indipensable then.

However if there's a known low-cost tool, I'll like to have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.