Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CT measuring circuit with PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nayakajit87

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I am using external CT to measure Current parameter. I am using PIC16F1938 to measure analog . Now here i am looking for circuit and calculation involved to get proper current rating.**broken link removed**

Min Current : 0.8A
max Current :30A
Primary Current 30A nom., 75A max
Turns Ratio 1000:1

I have 10 bit resolution ADC.
Kindly suggest me the circuit how we can choose the value. I got article with Arduino . https://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-3-Phase-Arduino-Energy-Meter/

Let me know best circuit to be achieve better accuracy. Some forum recommend to use amplifier circuit . Let me know which is best

The circuit suggested in the article looks just fine for the Talema CTs. There's also a calculation of burden resistor values.

I have taken sample example here. In general if external circuit used which is recommended design & what are calculation involved here.

Hi,

Go step by step:
First the requirements:
Min Current : 0.8A
max Current :30A
Primary Current 30A nom., 75A max
This is just half the information of the current.
What counts is the maximum peak-to-peak current you want be able to measure.
A single value like "75A max" diesn't say much in an AC system. It can be 75ARMS sine, or it can be 75Ap, or it can be 75App, or something else.
Example:
For a pure sinewave with 30 A RMS, you get a peak of 30A x 1.414 = 42.4V. For peak-to-peak this is 84.8A.
Mind, that you can't expect the current to be pure sine shap, thus you need to extend the range.
How much? Nobody here can answer this, it depends on your load.
Also mind, that many devices have higher inrush current, thus you need to extend the range.
How much? It depends on your load.. and on your requirements. You are free to allow short time overload of your current measurement system. The desicion is yours.

I have 10 bit resolution ADC.
This is no useful information for calculating the circuit.
The (only) value that counts is the decodable ADC input voltage range (peak to peak).
We can not know this. Read the ADC specification.

For your next post:
Please show your own effort. Draw a sketch, show your calculations, show what you have understood so far, show what you did not understand.
Don't expect us to do the whole job for you.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back