Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I designed an ADS Package Model, shouldn't that work just like an s2p file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatefast08

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ok, I am designing an LNA using ATF-55143 at a bias of Vds=3V and Id = 30mA I am using the Package Model displayed in the 3rd picture below, which is on the datasheet as I also posted below. I was hoping that my s-parameters would come out with no more than a 5% or less of an error than the same s-parameters in the s2p file, shouldn't the s-parameters be similar? I have included the picture of the whole package model that also includes the advanced_curtice2_model and vias, which are both in the datasheet and on my ADS screens shown in the pictures below. I want to know what im doing wrong, because my graph is 100% off from my s2p file transistor graph. Please, any suggestions, thanks.

My intention is to use the package model, so I can add or subract extra microstrip at the two source pins on the ATF-55143 and check how this would help the stability of my LNA design, without having to add stabililty resistors, but all in all, I just want to know how I can get my s-parameters to look similar.

ATF-55143 datasheet:
https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Avago PDFs/ATF-55143.pdf

ADS_package_model.jpg
bias_and_vias.jpg
datasheet(1).jpg
datasheet(2).jpg

Last edited:

Are simulated s-parameters very different than which mentioned in datasheet ?? ( any others such as Gmax, Gav etc. )

I have tried and s-parameters are more or less close.
atf55143.png

this is my s-param graph, im only including the transistor with 50 ohm terminations only. Maybe it has to do with my version on ADS (I have 2019 version). In the datasheet, they do not have the same parameters required for a t-line as my ADS screen shows in the first picture above, maybe that could be a reason?
sparam_graph.jpg

There is a serious mistake at "Input Side" of your schematic.Check the connections.

There is a serious mistake at "Input Side" of your schematic.Check the connections.

you don't mean the internal schematic of the transistor, or you mean my biasing network with my 50 ohm terminations? didn't I get my values correct for the internal transistor params and use DC feed and blocking capacitors the correct way with bias network?

I just don't see anything wrong with any of my values and what i used :-(

- - - Updated - - -

you don't mean the internal schematic of the transistor, or you mean my biasing network with my 50 ohm terminations? didn't I get my values correct for the internal transistor params and use DC feed and blocking capacitors the correct way with bias network?

I just don't see anything wrong with any of my values and what i used :-(

I figured it out, it was an Lg value on the parameter list, and my pins were off, I set them to the exact numbered pin. Thanks a lot!

- - - Updated - - -

is this what you get with ADS model vs s2p file as shown in the pictures below respectively? and, which graph would be more accurate?

ADS Model graph
ADS_model_graph.png
s2p file graph
s2p_graph.png

Last edited:

OK, I have understood your problem.
Internal schematic of ATF55143 in the datasheet is different that in ADS Design Kit that is supplied by Broadcom.
I recommend you to download ADS Design Kit from Broadcom, install it ( it's just a zap file) and work with it.
Screenshot_2018-12-22 ATF-55143.png

I just installed it and placed it into the library list, but this is all I get below. What would I do with this?
ATF55143_ads_model_online.png

I just installed it and placed it into the library list, but this is all I get below. What would I do with this?
View attachment 150470

It's not a library..It's just a archived project file. Unarchive it, it will create a new project file.
You should learn some basics of ADS..

Thank a bunch, I was thinking about using the unarchive, but I didnt know what it was for. is this what you get with the s-parameter graph now?
ADS_model_download.png

It's now OK..Now compare the measured s-parameters with simulation results.There will surely be some minor differences which eventually come from their measurement setup but they should be more or less close.Finally, the model is a mathematical representation of a device but it does not mirror of real device so your measurement will be your right guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back