Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB2 hub before USB3 port

Status
Not open for further replies.

UStralian

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm designing a board which has a single USB 2.0 PHY, currently connected with the high speed pairs to a USB 3.0 port. I have another part on the board that needs a USB 2.0 connection. Can I just use a 2-port USB2.0 hub IC to split the USB2 interface to the device and the USB3 socket? Will it cause issues for the USB3 port if the USB2 part of it is going through a hub? Or do I need to use a USB3.0 hub and only use the USB2 part of it for the second device? Footprint is an issue and I'd rather use the smaller parts if I can do it.

a single USB 2.0 PHY, currently connected with the high speed pairs to a USB 3.0 port
What do you mean? USB2.0 (1.5/12/480 MBPS) uses only a single D+/D- pair. USB 3.0 "Superspeed" interface uses two additional differential pairs. An USB 3.0 port is always downwards compatible to connect USB 2.0 devices or hubs by simply leaving the SS pairs unconnected. Similarly an USB 3.0 enabled device or hub can always connect to an USB 2.0 downstream port.

here's a rough illustration of what I mean:
usb2hub.jpg
I'm talking about on the host board, between the PHY and the ports. Basically, are the USB2 and superspeed interfaces in the USB3 port totally independent, or are they more tightly linked? Is it going to cause a problem for the USB3 port if the USB2 portion of it goes through a hub IC before it hits the PHY?

Guess it doesn't work. But you can check the spec or simply try.

Status
Not open for further replies.