Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Correct design to work with MIPI and SPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironlord

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

I don't know if this is the correct forum to ask about this topic, sorry if I'm wrong.
I want to connect a camera and a Lattice FPGA. It will be through the MIPI interface. From the FPGA I want to do a couple of things. I would like to connect it to an ARM processor and also to a screen, and what I was asked for was connect it using SPI.
I guess we can use a MIPI screen and solve the problem, but, my question here is the following. MIPI uses a Parallel bus, and SPI is serial, is it posible to make a "MIPI to SPI"? Another thing I thought was using a shared RAM memory between FPGA and ARM. So I would save the video on the memory and the ARM would access that memory and make an image processing. I don't know if that would be possible or if it is too complicated. What do you think, guys?

As always, thanks in advance.

Hi,

First things first.

Draw a sketch. Even hand drawn is OK. Draw the ARM, RAM, FPGA, camera. Draw the busses and name them.
Also do some basic calculations like (camera) frame rate, X and Y resolution, color depth --> bit rate. --> RAM size.

You say "video" and "processing". What do you want to process? Do some basic research about algorithms and their ressources (processing power, RAM, busses, throughput...)
Write down all these requirements on the sketch.

Do a little research on your own:
MIPI uses a Parallel bus
I don´t know about MIPI, but a 10 seconds internet search leads me to MIPI.ORG. There they write:
The MIPI Display Serial Interface (MIPI DSISM) defines a high-speed serial interface between a host processor and a display module.

Or do you mean "MIPI PTI"? --> then use correct terminology to avoid confusion.

Search the internet for similar projects. Look for design descriptions with pitfalls and how they solved it.

Klaus

Basically, this would be the scheme I want to achieve.
MIPI-SPI.png
I have no specifications from the camera nor the screens. And I also haven't been informed about the finallity of the project.
The camera goes through MIPI and CSI-2 specification, that's all what I know.

On the Internet I have found SPI to MIPI and MIPI to N MIPI.

The FPGA to use is a Lattice ice40, which hasn't an integrated CPU. So we must connect it to an ARM somehow, I have been told to investigate to do it in SPI, but I'm not sure that's possible.

Hi,

mysterious.
No specification? No resolution, no frame rate, nothing...

This does not sound like a serious assignment.

This rather sounds like someone asks you to transport some unknown thing from house X to house Y, with the only requirement to use a rubber raft.
Not knowing if this thing is data, fluid, gas, solid... not knowing size and weight, not knowing where house X is and if there is water inbetween house X and house Y.

Wow. I wouldn't like to be in your shoes.

Klaus

Basically, this would be the scheme I want to achieve.
View attachment 150432
I have no specifications from the camera nor the screens. And I also haven't been informed about the finallity of the project.
The camera goes through MIPI and CSI-2 specification, that's all what I know.

On the Internet I have found SPI to MIPI and MIPI to N MIPI.

The FPGA to use is a Lattice ice40, which hasn't an integrated CPU. So we must connect it to an ARM somehow, I have been told to investigate to do it in SPI, but I'm not sure that's possible.

Hello,

the FPGA board you mention is not proper for video procesing (not enough resources) - even simple like for example edge detection (with use of Sobel filter). You need SoC FPGA (CPU+FPGA fabric) best with MIPI interface for camera. For example "Zybo Z7":

https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/programmable-logic/zybo-z7/start

With this board "Zybo" you can use "Vivado HLS" for converting C/C++ algorithm (for example "Sobel filter") into HDL language, and optimize it for paraleling. Then you can write program for ARM CPU (for aquisition of image/video and put it together with Soble filter on FPGA fabric).

Regards

Hello,

also I am not sure if for Lattice FPGAs is available software tool similiar to "Vivado HLS" which is able to convert algorithm written in C language to one of HDL languages like Verilog or VHDL.

Regards

Hello again.

scheme-mipi-to-spi.png
In the image from above, Lattice guys are making a SPI to MIPI converter.
What we are looking for id for the inverse operation.

I have found the module MIPI DSI RX, wich would get the MIPI signal: https://www.latticesemi.com/dsirx
Also the pixel to byte converter, but I think I can't connect both of them, their output/input seems quite different: https://www.latticesemi.com/Product...roperty/IPCore/IPCores04/PixeltoByteConverter
And the Compress module, it is missing I guess, so I think I can't do the operation.

Hello,

the FPGA board you mention is not proper for video procesing (not enough resources) - even simple like for example edge detection (with use of Sobel filter). You need SoC FPGA (CPU+FPGA fabric) best with MIPI interface for camera. For example "Zybo Z7":

https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/programmable-logic/zybo-z7/start

With this board "Zybo" you can use "Vivado HLS" for converting C/C++ algorithm (for example "Sobel filter") into HDL language, and optimize it for paraleling. Then you can write program for ARM CPU (for aquisition of image/video and put it together with Soble filter on FPGA fabric).

Regards

About what you comment, I'm not sure yet if is possible or not, but I would say we need a better FPGA. Lattice also has their own IDE and IP Cores.

Did you notice that the MIPI DSI (display serial interface) discussed in post #7 has nothing in common with post #3 MIPI CSI? MIPI doesn't refer to a specific interface standard. The only common point is that both are operating at gigabit/s speed and can't be simply translated to slow serial interfaces like SPI without compressing the workload somehow, e.g. grabbing a still picture from the camera input.

Hello again.

View attachment 150448
In the image from above, Lattice guys are making a SPI to MIPI converter.
What we are looking for id for the inverse operation.

I have found the module MIPI DSI RX, wich would get the MIPI signal: https://www.latticesemi.com/dsirx
Also the pixel to byte converter, but I think I can't connect both of them, their output/input seems quite different: https://www.latticesemi.com/Product...roperty/IPCore/IPCores04/PixeltoByteConverter
And the Compress module, it is missing I guess, so I think I can't do the operation.

About what you comment, I'm not sure yet if is possible or not, but I would say we need a better FPGA. Lattice also has their own IDE and IP Cores.

Hello,

theoretically you can build design described in your post: separate FPGA and CPU ARM, but it will be extremally hard to program. Also take into consideration that most "Computer Vision" algorithms are written in C/C++ and you have to translate them into one of HDL languages. Has this IDE for Lattice FPGAs such feature like translating C programs into HDL language? Second question is that FPGA board you had chosen has to little resources for video processing.

Why to complicate task that you can solve in simple way?

Regards

That was also my first thoght.
But I was told to investigate about it. I was given the scheme I showed you and was told to find a solution for the oposite case.

I know that I am going from Gigabit/s to 10MB/s, so from the beggning it doesn't seem a good idea to go for SPI. Anyway, is it possible to make the opposite as I explained? In case it isn't, what would be the best idea?

To program it in C, probably we will end using Matlab HDL Coder or a similar plug in.

Hello,

if you can use MATLAB it solves the problem with translating CV algorithms into HDL. I am not able to answer your first question - it require some investigation and calculations.

I wish good luck with your project.

Regards

I know that I am going from Gigabit/s to 10MB/s, so from the beggning it doesn't seem a good idea to go for SPI. Anyway, is it possible to make the opposite as I explained? In case it isn't, what would be the best idea?
Of course it's possible to connect a camera and a display as sketched. The interesting question is, what do you want to display? You can't send real time video through SPI. It's all about the intended image processing functionality of your design, not the interfaces.

I guess I will proposse this design in order to match the specifications.
MIPI-SPI.png
I have seen the DSIRX and pixel-to-byte IP cores are available. The Decompress/Compress module seems to be the same, but changing the configuration does the one thing or the other.
I guess the Compress module saves in memory the Byte, and that's what I send to the SPI module, which will put it on the MOSI line, am I right?

On the other hand, I think I should talk about the posibility of doing all the process working only with MIPI, and in a FPGA with an ARM included.
Anyway, the iCE40 seems good for video porpousals, what's your opinion about it?

I know that if you don't know about the purpouse of the project tou can't tell me if that FPGA is enough or not, but neither I know.

Hi,

in order to match the specifications.
What specifications?
So you have some specifications but don´t tell us?

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back