Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Spark Gap tesla coil oscillations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak28

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does a spark gap Tesla coil high voltage secondary ring at many frequencies or is it typically a narrow band of the resonant frequency?

Experimenters have Youtube videos of a tesla coil playing music through its spark gap, or multiple spark streamers. I'm not certain whether it's (a) one high frequency modulated by audio, or (b) direct production of entire range of audio frequencies.

I see simulations of conventional tesla coils where a power transformer (at mains frequency) triggers a transformer and capacitor loop to ring at a resonant high frequency. This configuration looks as though it is simplest to build and and operate.

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I have no actual experience on Tesla coils. But because spark gaps and electrical discharges are involved, one could assume that there are other frequency components too.

Singing tesla coils use various modulation schemes to produce sounds.

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.