Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] how to use extended SPI instead of normal SPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMartian

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
From what I understand, the Extended SPI is like SPI but with extra data line.
Micron extended SPI protocol is the standard SPI protocol with additional commands
that extend functionality and enable address or data transmission on multiple DQn
lines.
To initiate a command, S# is driven LOW. For extended SPI protocol, input is on DQ0/
DQ4, output on DQ1/DQ5.

I wonder how do I support it on PIC and mikroC?
There is a "simple" SPI library for that:
https://download.mikroe.com/documents/compilers/mikroc/pic/help/spi_library.htm
Do I have to somehow extend the hardware SPI of PIC18F, or create software SPI using any selected digital pins and write whole SPI system from scratch in my code?

I am looking at the datasheet.
The signals for READ ID command:
extendedSPI.png
The pinout of chip:
extendedSPI2.png
For me, it looks like I can do "READ ID" in "Extended" mode just by using 4 signals: Clock (C_1), DQ0, DQ1 and S (obviously). I don't get where is the extra line needed.

My question is: where is mistake in my understanding. Can I do "READ ID" command from screenshots with simple MikroC SPI library?

PS: I attach the source datasheet of screenshots.
View attachment MICT-S-A0002963421-1.pdf

The question doesn't make sense. Dual and quad SPI functions are only relevant to increase the interface throughput with SPI masters that support multiple data lines. PIC processors don't, but any flash memory function of interest can be accessed through single SPI as well, e.g. read ID.

PIC processors don't, but any flash memory function of interest can be accessed through single SPI as well, e.g. read ID.

So you say that I can do "read ID" for chip from datasheet from first post with PIC mcu with hardware SPI?

So you say that I can do "read ID" for chip from datasheet from first post with PIC mcu with hardware SPI?
Yes, as described in the datasheet.

By the way, it's not clear which chip type you are using. There's a single chip select version of the dual die memory which isn't well suited to be accessed with a classical SPI interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back